PR Grouch: How to get through July?
20th July 2015
How are you getting on with your summer holiday resolutions? Now that it’s nearing the end of July and the life changing summer holiday, is over?
Hopefully, by now, you will have junked them. Good. I have.
There’s no point trying to be a new you, it will never last.
Here is my advice for getting through July:
1. Throw those fencing classes in Gurgaon away. It makes you look silly. ‘Three Musketeers’’ you ain’t. If you must lose weight, eat sensibly and hit the gym. Not fancy, but it will work just in time for next July’s resolutions.
2. Don‘t bother sticking to a “dry” July- I know its kind of between Holi and Diwali but it is idiotic to stop drinking altogether in July only to go back on the juice again with a vengeance in August in anticipation of independence dry days! This is worse for your health than if you’d never stopped in the first place. If you drink too much, you need to cut down for good. Sorry, not the most fun advice.
3. Whatever you do, avoid HR right now. In July, mid-year results are in and HR starts coming up with all sorts of ideas for “increasing productivity” at the workplace. And in February, they start putting these ridiculous ideas into practice. Don’t get sucked into their schemes.
4. Everyone hates their job when they go back to their desks after the summer break, but if you still hate yours at the end of July perhaps, you should do something about it. But please don’t send your CV to our agency; we aren’t recruiting (fingers crossed things pick up later in the year).
5. Never ever go back to work without having your next holiday planned. Book your summer holiday now. Us parents need to get our holidays sorted early if we want to go away in school holiday times.
6. Give up those dreams of getting fit. July is definitely too sweaty to start going running. I reckon the weather will be too unpleasant until December. And then it will be too cold.