What are the shittiest jobs in the world?
13th January 2016
Sometimes I think we all take our PR jobs too seriously. As I sweat over the wording of a press release for yet another client whose products the world could do without, I wonder why I bother. When it comes down to it, my skills are worthless. I don’t grow food, I don’t save lives and I can’t even put up a decent shelf.
But then I realize that it could be a lot worse. So if you ever feel that your precious time is being wasted in PR, just remember there are less worthwhile jobs you could be turning your talents to.
Here are a few examples.
- Advertising executive. Now they really do talk out of their behinds. Makes me feel useful in comparison. After all, sometimes there is a point to my work and I often see results. Have you watched some of the creative treatments on TV lately? No, you are too bust with Netflix? Me too.
- Journalist. Some journalists work for proper newspapers, and hats off to them. However, there are many who work for less impressive titles. For example, someone has to write the copy for Women’s Era, Neighbourhood Star and err the page 3 sections!
- Critic. I can’t put it better than this quotation: “A critic is a person who goes onto the battlefield after the battle has been fought and shoots the survivors”.
- Banker. They can make a lot of money, but it’s nicer to have friends.
- HR executive. I’ve never quite got what they do. I think managers use them to fire people when they haven’t got the courage?
- Recruitment consultant. They don’t care if you are right for the job. I had one say to me: “Never mind if it’s not ideal, it’s a bloody good salary. Just stay there for three months”, so that he could get his commission. I didn’t take it.
- Estate agent. Similar to the above. Remember Khurana from ‘ Khosla ka Ghosla’!